Grosse Ile Township
According to the United Canada Goose online States Census canada goose outlet store locations Bureau, the township has a total area of 18.3 square miles (47 of which 9.6 square miles (25 is land and 8.7 square miles (23 or 47.4%, is water.Grosse Ile is the largest island on the Detroit River. The township of Grosse Ile is actually composed of twelve islands, although the community is most often identified with the main island (which residents simply refer to as “The Island”). Grosse Ile’s main island is technically composed of two islands.The tip of the main island’s northern Canada Goose Outlet section is named Hennepen Point in honor of canada goose clearance the 17th century French explorer Father Louis Hennepin. It is uninhabited and separated from the remainder of buy canada goose jacket the northern section by an unnamed canal that cannot be navigated in a power boat.The southern section of the main island is separated from the northern section by the Thorofare Canal, which runs on a diagonal course from east to west connecting the main channel of the Detroit River with the Trenton Channel of the river. The southern section of the main island is connected by bridges to Elba Island, Meso Island (also known as Upper Hickory Island), Hickory Island, and Swan Island, which are all inhabited.Not far from the shoreline of the main island in the river lie Calf Island, Celeron Island (charted as Tawas Island), Dynamite (also known as Powder House Island), Fox Island, Stony Island, and Sugar Island, which are all uninhabited. Stony and Celeron are owned by the Michigan Department of Natural Resources. Fish and Wildlife Service as a canada goose store part of the Detroit River International Wildlife Refuge. The other islands are privately owned. Mamajuda Island lies off the northeastern tip of Grosse Ile and only appears during times of low water level.Two bridges connect the main island to the mainland of Michigan. The bridge on the north end of the island is called the Grosse Ile Toll canada goose deals Bridge (off white color). The bridge on the south end of the island is officially named the Wayne County Bridge (light green in color), but is commonly called the “Free Bridge” by locals.Founding and early timesGrosse Canada Goose Parka Ile historians consider the beginning of ownership and governance of the community by residents of European heritage to have begun on July canada goose clearance sale 6, 1776, when the Potawatomi Indians deeded the island to prominent Detroit merchants, brothers William and Alexander Macomb. Although the Potawatomi Indians, like most Native Americans, did not believe in the European legal concept canada goose black friday sale of land ownership, they did consider the island to be part of their ancestral lands. The Potawatomi Indians called the island Kitcheminishen.Historians assume that the Macomb brothers believed that by purchasing this deed through the transfer of items of value, they had in fact obtained full ownership rights. In any case, the Macomb brothers are considered to be the founders, and first legal owners, of Grosse Ile, because the Potawatomis, and later the United States government, respected the Macombs’ perceived rights to take possession of the Canada Goose sale island.Today, recognition of the Macomb brothers’ historical importance is found in numerous places in the community. The central business district of Grosse Ile is located along Macomb Street which was named in their honor. A monument commemorating the day that the tribal chiefs and elders signed the deed to the Macomb brothers is located near the shoreline of the Detroit River at the foot of Gray’s https://www.canadagoose-coats.ca Drive. The original deed, which was written on parchment, is stored in the Burton Historical Collection within the Detroit Public Library.There are at least three homes still standing on the island that were built during the 19th century by a descendant or relative of the Macomb brothers. The Rucker Homestead, the oldest structure in use on Grosse Ile, 21319 West River Road: Portions of this home date to 1816; the front structure was added by John Anthony Rucker in 1835. ( Grosse Ile: A Historical Timeline) The Rucker Stanton House on West River Road was built in 1848 by the great grandson of William Macomb. The Wendell House on East River Road was built in the late 1860s by the John Wendell who married the granddaughter of William Macomb.Westcroft Gardens, a Michigan Centennial Farm located on West River Road, is operated to this day by descendants of the Macombs. Canada Goose Online Westcroft, which is open to the public, features a nursery well known for growing and selling hybrid azaleas and rhododendrons. During the Halloween season they Canada Goose Jackets have haunted hay rides in the back of the farm called “Phantom Forest.” Westcroft is one of the oldest farms in Michigan 2018 canada goose outlet still owned by the same family. Most of the original buildings canada goose uk at Westcroft Gardens are still standing to buy canada goose jacket cheap this day and well preserved.The flags of three nations France, England, and the United States have flown over Grosse Ile since the first Europeans, French explorers, visited the island during the late 17th century. The early French explorers named the island as la grosse ile the “big island” in French. The British, whose control of Michigan was established in 1763 after their victory in the French and Indian War, anglicized the spelling to “Grosse Isle”. This form was commonly used until early during the 20th century when local residents succeeded in an effort to re establish the French version as the official name of the community. To the dismay of historic preservationists and long time residents, it is still common for the uninformed to mispronounce the name of the community.Catholic priest and missionary Father Louis Hennepin accompanied fellow French explorer Ren Robert Cavelier, Sieur de La Salle on the ship Le Griffon in exploring the Great Lakes in 1679. The Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church on Grosse Ile maintains that canada goose Father Hennepin came ashore and said mass at a location on Canada Goose Coats On Sale the east shore of the island near the present site of St. Anne’s Chapel. While there apparently is not written proof of this specific event, Father Hennepin did write in his journals about the fruit orchards and wild animals on Grosse Ile, so historians assume that, at the very least, he explored the island first hand. The north end of Grosse Ile is named Hennepin Point in his honor.Grosse Ile played a minor role in the founding of the city of Detroit by the French explorer Antoine de la Mothe Cadillac. Cadillac and his convoy of 25 canoes sailed down the Detroit River and camped on the shore of Grosse Ile during the evening canada goose coats of July 23, 1701.Although Grosse Ile maintained its own name and identity as a community beginning in the 18th century, it did not obtain status as an independent unit of government until October 27, 1914, when the Wayne County Board of Supervisors agreed to separate the island from Monguagon Township. The first supervisor of Grosse Ile Township was Leonard H. Wilton.Trenton Channel and boatingAs an island, boating has been both a means of transportation and recreation since the first residents lived in the community. Native Americans used canoes to travel between Grosse Ile’s islands and the mainland in Michigan and Canada. Early residents of European heritage primarily used sail powered vessels to travel to and from the islands. By the late 19th century Grosse Ile was known as a popular destination for recreational boaters. During this time period Sugar Island, which is one of the twelve islands commonly considered to comprise Grosse Ile, featured an amusement park, dance pavilion and bathing beach. Paddle steamers regularly carried people seeking recreation from Detroit and other points along the Michigan side of the Detroit River to Sugar Island.During this era and into the early 20th century, a number of wealthy residents from Detroit and other nearby towns built summer homes along the shoreline (mainly on the southern end) of Grosse Ile in order to enjoy views of the Detroit River or Lake Erie. The interior section of the island was sparsely populated, as most of the land was undeveloped woodlands or part of farms. Census. The majority of homes were located around the perimeter of the island and a number of main roads that crossed the community in either a north south or east west direction.In 1894, the federal government funded and constructed a series of channel range lights to assist ships to avoid shallow areas in the Detroit River and its shoreline. The northernmost of the channel range lights was the Grosse Ile Light, which is now the only lighthouse remaining on the island. The original 1894 Grosse Ile lighthouse resembled a water tower on stilts as it was constructed on wooden pilings along with a 170 foot (52 walkway to shore. It was rebuilt in 1906 to become the classic white structure which today is one of the most iconic landmarks on the island.The image of the lighthouse is considered a symbol of Grosse Ile and can be found on the masthead of the Ile Camera community newspaper and many other places. The lighthouse’s beacon was turned off in the 1940s, and the structure is no longer an important navigation aid for lake freighters, although small boaters still refer to the location. Department of the Interior for $350 with funds provided by the Grosse Ile Historical Society (GIHS). The GIHS was given the responsibility to preserve and maintain the lighthouse. The GIHS annually holds a tour canada goose replica of the lighthouse during a weekend each fall which is the only time of the year that it is open to the public.Island resident Cameron Waterman invented the outboard motor and successfully tested his invention in the ice filled Detroit River off the shore of Grosse Ile during February 1905. Following the successful testing of canada goose outlet toronto factory his invention, he established the Waterman Marine Motor Company in Detroit. The company eventually manufactured and sold up to 1,000 outboard motors per year until Waterman sold the business in 1917. During the fall of 2005, the GIHS celebrated the 100th anniversary of Waterman’s invention by hosting a public exhibition featuring fully restored Waterman outboard motors which are highly collectible and very rare.During the Prohibition era, Grosse Ile became a crossing point for bootleggers illegally importing alcoholic beverages from Canada. They typically arrived to the island via small speed boats. During canada goose coats on sale the winter months, some daring smugglers drove cars across the frozen river.During the 1920s and 1930s, a small airport on the southern end of Grosse Ile was the location of historic early aviation activities. The Curtiss Wright Flying Service operated a flying school at the airport. The Aircraft Development Corporation built the world’s first all metal airship, the ZMC 2, canadian goose jacket for the Navy in a large hangar. Amelia Earhart is rumored to have stopped at the airfield on occasion. Navy base for forty years. Naval Air Station Grosse Ile opened in 1929 after three years of construction of seaplane and dirigible facilities. During World War II, the naval base developed into an important center for military flight training. The base was expanded considerably to accommodate large numbers of American and British fliers who trained on the island. Former President George H. W. Bush was stationed at the base for training during 1945 for about two months.Today, the Grosse Ile Municipal Airport is primarily used for general aviation, and occasionally is a temporary docking area for blimps that visit southeastern Michigan to fly over major sporting events. The United States Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA) Large Lakes Research Station also occupies one of the buildings on the airport grounds. The cheap Canada Goose airport campus is the home of Grosse Ile Township Hall, which was moved to this location from Macomb Street in 2000, and a number of private businesses. In addition, the airport has been the site of public airshows.